Sunday, October 26, 2008

Kicking it into high gear

With the fall weather definitely here, it's time for me to kick my knitting into high gear. I've set December 23rd as my deadline to finish the cardigan and I’m using some non-knitting literature as my inspiration.

I picked up a copy of ‘The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People’ by Steven Covey and am on my first ‘read-through’. I can definitely say that the words have far more meaning for me now than when I first read it in 1998. Back then, I had only just started my career and had no idea what I wanted to do and how I wanted to accomplish it. With 10 years more experience under my belt, I’m finding that this book is not just resonating with how I want to conduct my professional life, but it’s impacting all facets of my life.

It’s funny how you can come back to an idea years later and have it make more sense to you now than it did then. It works in the opposite way too – I’ve realized that there are some people and ideas that just don’t work for me anymore and I’ve had to acknowledge that ending and say goodbye.

In terms of finishing this cardigan, Covey stresses that you have to begin with the end in mind. And so, I begin this project by knowing that it will be finished by December 23, 2008 – just in time for me to wear it for the Christmas holiday!

No comments: